8 Step Plan – SEO for a New Website
SEO is important to the success of a website, but are you digging deep enough with your strategy? By applying an SEO checklist to every page of your site—not just the home page—you’ll ensure that the right traffic reaches each layer of your message. Here is how to optimize for SEO, draw readers to your site and keep them there.
1) Be ConsistentJust as crucial to having a unified voice and tone throughout your website, is having a consistent look and feel to your pages. The design, color scheme, and structure should feel like an extension of your home page and your brand. Web crawlers pick up on design elements and will automatically connect additional content to your existing pages if they see consistency.
2) Link to Your Own StuffWhen you create a new page, don’t forget to include links and resources to recirculate traffic. Make it easy to navigate back to your homepage. Not only will it make it easier for bots to connect your content to an already-ranked page, but it will also help your readers quickly find the content they need.
3) Be QuickAs part of your SEO checklist, watch out for large images, fancy plugins and video players that create upload drag. Bots and readers alike will move off of a page in the blink of an eye if the upload times are slow. Keep it simple and don’t forget to test every page to check upload times and to make sure that images don’t glitch.Check your website speed at GTMetrix
4) Keep it FreshDon’t fill your pages just to fill them. Make sure each page has new content that serves a specific purpose—not just content regurgitated from another page. The bots will detect duplicate content and punish you for it in the site rankings, and your readers won’t be fooled either.
5) Use the Right KeywordsUse a mixture of keywords throughout your copy. Don’t lump them all in one section; instead, spread them throughout the body of your paragraphs, titles, and subheaders. You can even use keywords in the captions of your images for a little extra web page optimization. There are several plugins that can help with keyword management, but again—don’t install a plugin that kills your page upload time. Test it first and stick to your SEO checklist
6) Use PermalinksBe strategic when you create URLs. Don’t use numeric sequences for pages. Use keywords in your URLs. It will be simpler for your audience to find the right pages, and the web crawlers will reward you for it too.
7) Make New FriendsOne of the best ways to boost SEO is to incorporate links to other thought leaders and similar pages within your own content. Most of the time, you’ll get a reciprocal like from the page, and their readers and rankings will give you a boost in your SEO and web traffic efforts. If you aren’t getting linked in return, don’t be afraid to ask!
8) Check Your ProgressLast, but not least, stop to check your results after you create each new page. If the page isn’t performing as well as it should, go through your SEO checklist and see what you can tweak. Is it slow upload time? The wrong keywords? A poor URL? Course correct as needed to ensure the best results for each page.
The Ultimate Guide to SEO
Final ThoughtsThese tips aren’t just for new pages. It’s smart to revisit your current content once in a while to make sure your SEO strategy is still going strong. A boost in rankings is sure to follow.
Eric Melillo is a certified HubSpot Inbound Marketing expert, Senior Brand Strategist, as well as a lover of family, friends, and life. He enjoys good health, Tae Kwon-Do and discovering the most influential marketing trends.